A kid’s room is a place where they spend most of their time playing, learning, sleeping, and doing all kinds of mischievous activities. Therefore, it should be a space that reflects their little quirky personalities. Kid’s room interior design should include the essentials while having a creative flair to ignite their imagination – a space to feel nurtured and grow. Read on for the top tips from our experienced kid’s room interior designers and be inspired!
1. Kid’s Room Interior Design Inspiration
While designing a children’s bedroom interior, it is very important to create a space that reflects your kid’s interests and style. It should encourage them to improve their cognitive mind but in a playful manner. Take their personalities as an inspiration to curate a room that they would love to inhabit.
First and foremost, it is very important to choose the right theme for the kid’s interior design. It could be under the ocean paradise, a pretty princess theme with soft pink hues or a Marvel comic characters display.
Incorporate educational yet fun elements into the design to make learning easier for your kids. Informational maps, a chalkboard wall for art, or a building area are all great ideas for a kid’s room interior design.
Want a stylish kid’s room interior design for your little ones, but not sure where to start? Schedule your free interior design consultation for help from professional kid’s room interior designers today!
Play around with textures and patterns in your kid’s room design to create a contrasting look with layered details. Don’t feel the need to match and coordinate everything.
2. Best Layouts for Your Kid’s Interior Design
Deciding on an efficient layout for your kid’s interior design will not only optimize the space but also help you in organizing it effortlessly. Here are some tips you should keep in mind while doing a kid’s room interior design:
- With kids, there is always a lack of storage space. So, make sure you include closet options, built-ins, or cubbies wherever possible.
- Assign a separate play area so they have a particular space to create a mess instead of everything strewn about the bed or carpet.
- Kids outgrow their things much quicker than we anticipate. Therefore, try to get furniture a size bigger to make sure it is utilized efficiently.
- Include a study table for the kids to instill a reading or drawing habit. And once they grow up, they will also need it for homework and school stuff.
3. Girls Room Interior Design Ideas
Creating a stylish and personalized room for your daughter doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Whether you’re going for a pretty princess room or something more mature and chic, here are some pointers to get you going.
- Start With a Focal Point: Begin with a vibrant rug or a colorful painting you truly adore and follow its lead. Make that piece the center of your design and take inspiration from it to arrange the rest of the room.
- Introduce Fun bedding: Adding a quirky piece of duvet or a nice polka dot bed sheet will instantly hype your design game!
- Decorative Drapery: Curtains add a touch of femininity and calmness to the space. It could be a perfect addition to your kid’s bedroom interior.
- Cozy Seating: Whether an oversized armchair, a comfy Papasan, or a pile of fluffy pillows on the floor, give your little one a cozy space to curl with a good book.
4. Boys Room Interior Design Ideas
Designing a room for your son can be more creative than slapping some blue paint on the walls. Take a step away from traditional with these helpful tips for getting started.
- Explore New Colors: Consider ditching the old ‘blue is for boys’ thinking and introduce updated colors to your son’s bedroom. Think charcoal, forest green, a rich tumeric-yellow, or a neutral greige.
- Decal Décor: A quick and easy way to spice a boy’s room interior design is by using decals or wall stickers. There is a plethora of sporty and cartoon decal available these days to deck up the space.
- Try Roman Shades: Roman shades make the boys’ rooms look more masculine and less fussy.
- Interactive Area Rugs: Need a floor covering? Go for something practical yet functional with an interactive area rug. Think a racetrack for speeding cars; letters, numbers, and colors for learning in disguise; or a football field for imaginary game days.
5. Kid’s Interior Design Must-Haves
Of course, every kid’s room needs the obligatory bed, dresser, nightstands, etc. However, consider these hacks to really create a space your children will love.
- Sleeping Cove: Stacked bunkbeds for shared sibling spaces or a flowing canopy or tented bed that creates an enclosed place for your kids to slumber.
- Comforting Night Light: Make bedtime a breeze with a touch of comforting light at night. Options are endless nowadays, including projecting lights for imagery on the ceiling to portable illuminated globes that can be held.
- Hobby Nook: Could be a creative platform where kids can color, craft, play, and read.
- A Black Hole: Let’s be honest, it is practically impossible to always keep the kid’s room clean. Assign a toy chest or baskets to dump all the toys in one place.
6. Calming Colors for Children
Deciding on the right color for a children’s bedroom interior can be a daunting task. But here is a list of few shades that will create a calm yet creative vibe in the room.
- Eggshell – Dealing with pure white wall paint can be a nightmare with kids. However, opting for a darker shade will help you hide the stains.
- Yellow – It is a very gender-neutral shade and can make any space look bright and cheerful.
- Aqua – This softer shade of blue is very versatile and easy-peasy to style.
- Lilac – When used in the bedroom nicely, this shade looks really sophisticated and chic.
7. How to Make my Kid’s Room Cozy?
A kid’s interior design should be comfortable and warm. Give your youngsters a sanctuary space of their own that builds a sense of belonging and security.
- Introducing natural sunlight will make the space more cheerful and happier. Make sure there is ample light to create a soft ambiance to the room.
- Embrace color psychology and choose light and subtle shades that make the room look spacious and clean.
- Assign a place for everything to make sure the room stays tidy. A messy room can overstimulate the little one’s brains and make it difficult to relax.
- Kids love to cuddle in soft spaces. Pile up those pillows, cushions, soft blankets, and rugs to create a snuggly area for your babies.
8. Money-Saving Tricks for Kid’s Room Interior Design
When it comes to designing an adorable room for kids, it might get heavy on the pocket. The best way to redo your kid’s room interior design is by reusing or rehabbing the furniture from your friends and family. Since kids outgrow their stuff pretty quickly, most of the things are in good condition and can be used again.
If you are keen on buying new things, you can always look up sales to get crazy deals. Who doesn’t love to shop during sale season, anyway? When making purchases choose quality items that can grow with your kids.
Another great hack to decorate the bedroom’s walls is by using a temporary stick-on wallpaper. They come in a myriad of designs and patterns to fit in every room. You can try using decals or wall stickers to get a funky and fun look that can be changed over time.
9. Do I Need Help From a Professional Kid’s Room Interior Designer?
Professional kid’s room interior designers can undoubtedly help you achieve that flawless finish in your child’s bedroom. From traditional interior designers to online interior design services, there’s an option for every budget! With kids everything is finicky, plus the room design is constantly changing and evolving to cater to their needs, so guidance from a professional can save you time and money in the long run.
10. Children’s Room Interior Design Stores
There are a plethora of options when it comes to kid’s room interior design stores. Here are a few of our favorites to get you started in the right direction:
- Lulu & Georgia Littles: They have irresistible baby and children furniture ranging from tufted velvet chairs to gorgeous wallpapers.
- Design Life Kids: This online store has more global, eclectic kid’s products that give natural and rustic vibes.
- RH Baby and Child: If you are looking to buy sophisticated and stylish furniture for kids, this is the place to go.
- Crate & Kids: High quality meets fair prices and charming aesthetic. Shop here for looks that can grow with your children.
Want an adorable kid’s room interior design for your little one, but not sure where to begin? Schedule your Free Interior Design Consultation to get started with a top kid’s room interior designer today!