Making a space feel more expansive is a common design challenge. Whether living in a first floor apartment or in a home with little natural lighting, there are several solutions to creating a more open feel to interiors. Spatial layout, color, and finishes are great places to start.
In a recent virtual interior design project, condo owner, Itala, not only looked to give a fresh appeal to “outdated” decor, but she also shared: “The current layout doesn’t maximize the space; I want to amplify space and make it nicer”.
Itala’s design needs included:
- updating the kitchen with new appliances
- open the dining and kitchen by removing dividing walls
- exchanging bulky living room furniture for modern pieces that offer storage
- bring style up to date and encourage a space for entertaining
After confirming a great color palette, Rachel, Itala’s designer, created a design that offered an open plan with an air of modern elegance.
Here are some tips on how to give your room design the appearance of spaciousness.
- Be space savvy-First thing’s first: clutter will always swallow a room. Go on a de-cluttering mission by discarding unnecessary items and supplying stylish containers as small as baskets or as large as storage ottomans. A designer can also propose a space efficient furniture layout plan or solutions that involve knocking down walls.
- Be intentional with color-White and light/neutral hues of color quickly offer a space a sense of airiness. Have low ceilings? Create the illusion of space by extending the color to the ceiling, unifying the room and making it look larger than it is.
- Bring on the bling-Selecting decor items with shiny finishes reflects light in a room which also helps in expansiveness. Mirrored surfaces are a great way of doing this.
By using these tips you can add desired feel to your space or check out Decorilla for help from your very own virtual interior designer!