The kitchen is the most popular choice when upgrading a house. This hardworking space is not only functional but also the social hub of the home. So, when it comes to your kitchen renovation, it’s important to get it right the first time. Read on for the ultimate guide to perfecting your kitchen remodel design ideas!
Kitchen Remodel Design Quick Ideas & Tips
Big kitchen remodel ideas aren’t always necessary to make your space dreamy. In fact, a kitchen is a versatile space you can update with a few quick fixes too. So here are a few pointers for sprucing up your kitchen – whether small or due for more substantial kitchen renovation ideas.
- Whatever the scale of your makeover, consider your budget first and foremost. From here, you can determine how in-depth the kitchen renovation can be. So set a spending cap, and stick to it.
- Look into minor fixes that are cost-friendly. These can include painting cabinets, replacing fixtures and lighting, and updating the backsplash.
- Let a style guide you. You can use your home as inspiration, but it’s also a good idea to collect images of kitchen remodel designs that inspire you.
- List what you need to purchase and what you need to do. Tick off each step and item to ensure you stay on track.
- Get a virtual kitchen remodel. You can use an app or online kitchen designer, to see what your room will look like before making any changes.
- Take before and after photos! It’ll not only be rewarding to see the changes, but it’ll also be a reference point if you want to make further changes.
Tip: Picking a style to guide your kitchen remodel ideas is the best way to start. Unsure about yours? Then take our Free Interior Design Style Quiz to find your kitchen remodel design style!
The Complete Kitchen Remodel Ideas Guide
Now, it’s time to get into the thick of kitchen remodel ideas. Use this list as a checklist for your own renovation or to include kitchen design trends. It’ll help keep your project on track and get the best results!
1. Set a Budget for Your Kitchen Interior Remodel Design
Budgeting is the most important part of a kitchen remodel design. Without it, you might spend more than you should, not finish the remodel or end up taking risky shortcuts that lower the quality of your kitchen.
Be realistic about what you can afford. When you stay within budget, an updated kitchen interior design can increase the value of your property. Renovations regularly have hidden expenses and may take longer than you initially planned. Generally, the longer a renovation takes, the higher the cost.
If you’re not looking to invest in complete kitchen renovation ideas right now, minor cosmetic updates can make a stunning impact while saving you some money. Are few of the biggest impact kitchen design cosmetic updates are:
- Update the countertop
- Paint or reface the cabinets
- Add a backsplash
- Update fixtures and faucets
2. Create a Rough Plan for Your Kitchen Remodel Ideas
Once the budget is set, create a rough plan of your ideal kitchen interior design. Create a Pinterest board with kitchen remodel design ideas you can’t get enough of. Also, explore different layouts to find what will work for your home. Your initial plan won’t make the final cut, but it does help to identify the kitchen style you want and will make the next step easier.
3. Kitchen Remodel Design Cost: Get Quotes & Finalize Your Design
It’s always good to research different kitchen design services and options. You can investigate great local designers, but don’t forget to research online kitchen interior design options as well because $1,000s can be saved that way (not to mention the price of costly mistakes). Typically, the cost for kitchen design online starts from $899, but customized hourly packages can start at only $75 /hour.
Depending on your project scope, you can also contact local contractors for quotes to get a better feel of the full project. It’s great to look at online reviews on websites such as Yelp and Angie’s List to get multiple quotes or get recommendations from your interior designer or friends.
Once you’ve accepted a quote, you can finalize your kitchen remodel design ideas and the additional services you’ll need. Possible professional services that may be included in your kitchen interior design include:
- Demolition crew
- Floor and tile installer
- HVAC contractor
4. Set Up a Timeline to Implement Kitchen Remodel Ideas
Even small kitchens require time and patience. Setting up a time frame is undoubtedly one of the most important steps to a kitchen remodel. Start by considering the following: delivery times of supplies, your availability, and drying or setting times.
Also, consider everyday use and accessibility. A household that uses the whole kitchen frequently throughout the day, will need to remodel the kitchen in phases or create a temporary kitchen (microwave, fridge, plates, washing area) in another area of your home.
5. Be Thorough with Your Kitchen Remodel Design & Demolish with Care
Demolition is the first physical step in a kitchen remodel design. But before deconstruction begins, get a contractor to map the plumbing and electrical wires, and remove all the cupboard and drawer contents. If you are planning on breaking down walls, unscrew and remove cabinet fronts and remove tiles first.
6. Kitchen Remodel Ideas: Adjust Infrastructure
Most importantly, enlist the services of a qualified electrician and a plumber to help make your kitchen remodel ideas a reality. An electrician can replace damaged or worn wiring and add electrical sockets to cabinets, adjust outlets for appliances, and add infrastructure for new lights.
Similarly, a plumber can replace damaged plumbing and adjust the faucet position if necessary. If you need to restructure or add a wall, now is the time to form the structure according to your kitchen remodel design.
7. Kitchen Interior Design Ideas: Choose Paint
Fill any holes and ensure that all surfaces are clean and dry before you start to paint. Make sure that you and your team use a fire and water retardant paint on walls, and a primer and bonding sealer to protect the painted finish on cabinets. The remaining paint can give kitchen furniture ideas life and add another updated layer to your new interior.
8. Install Floors, Countertops & Backsplashes
Once the paint is dry, you can install the kitchen countertop, the backsplash, and then the new floor. Cover adjoining areas to avoid spills and wait for countertops like cement to set before moving on to the tiling. Clay tiles are best for a heat-resistant backsplash, and for flooring, a durable material (like stone or cork) that cleans easily will last longer.
9. Install Cabinets, Lighting & Fixtures
At this stage, your kitchen renovation ideas are taking shape, which makes installing cabinets, lighting, and fixtures an exciting part of the makeover. Now, at long last, your cabinets get their fronts and drawers back, fixtures and faucets go on, and lighting comes into play.
Ensure your kitchen design incorporates three levels of light:
- Task lighting that fits underneath top cabinets to cast a spotlight on countertop and preparation surfaces.
- General lighting like recessed ceiling lights brightens the whole kitchen area.
- Accent lighting like a feature light that hovers above a kitchen island, or casts a warm glow within a display shelf.
10. Finishing Up Kitchen Renovation Ideas: Add Appliances
The final remodeling step includes all the finishing touches. Now you can install your appliances and organize your cutlery, crockery, pots, and pantry contents. Add potted herbs near the kitchen window and incorporate your furniture ideas like breakfast bar stools or veggie baskets for a welcoming atmosphere.
Need help with your kitchen design remodel ideas?
If you need help conquering your kitchen remodel design, get in touch! Get access to vetted interior designers today when you schedule a Free Interior Design Consultation today!