Interior design trends 2022 are proving to be Instagram-worthy looks you’ll certainly want to replicate in your home. This coming year, design is getting comfortable with current vogues that’ll go the distance, a few oldies making a comeback, and timeless classics holding strong. Given this variety, you’ll be not only be able to create a home that’s on trend, but will also remain in style for time to come. Read on for our design experts’ curated picks of the top 2022 home decor and interior design trends we’re sure you’ll love!
Main Interior Design Trends 2022
The emphasis on natural and sustainability continues to grow from interior trends from previous years. It’s no wonder that their aesthetics are becoming even more refined and covetable. Moreover, we’re seeing a subtle merge of retro, natural, and zen elements in 2022 interior design trends. In addition, the importance of setting up home offices and keeping clean spaces play a substantial role in favored looks.
Ready to update your home with 2022 interior design trends, but not sure where to begin? Schedule your Free Interior Design Consultation to get started with the finest interior designers today!
1. 70’s Retro Kickback
A touch of retro is more than enough to spruce up a home. Gentle suggestions of burnt orange, moss greens, and other warm neutrals brighten up-and-coming interiors. Make a pass at your local flea market for these pops of color and patterns, or reupholster a vintage couch.
How to Find and Save on Vintage Furniture & Home Decor Trends 2022
Loving the retro interior design trend is one thing, but finding the piece perfect for your place is another. Here are quick tips on securing a vintage touch before the year is out.
- Routinely visit local antique stores, fairs, and markets. Perseverance is key to finding what you’re looking for at the price that suits you.
- Look for lesser-known brands. Popular names tend to cost more and be harder to acquire. Get to know alternatives by researching the style or item you want.
- Buy vintage furniture online. That said, stick to trusted websites, like 1st Dibs or Chairish, to avoid the risk that comes with online shopping.
- Attend an estate sale or antique auction with a friend. You’ll need to visit more than one event to make sure you can spot swollen prices.
2. 2022 Interior Design Trends With Nature
Go the extra mile with your nature-inspired design next year and bring authentic greenery into your home. Plants will not only complement your natural woods and warm browns, but they will also purify the air. Besides, seeing your blooms grow brings a deep sense of fulfillment and joy.
Best Plants for Pulling Off the Green Interior Design Trend
Remember to do your research before buying your favorite plants. Some will simply do better and are easier to care for than others. Here is the best greenery for interior design:
- Sweetheart Plant: A versatile climber that is happy in semi to full-shaded rooms.
- Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree: Hardy and beautiful bushy trees that need sunny rooms and weekly watering.
- Monstera: A large family of plants with unique cut-out-shaped leaves that thrive in low-light interiors.
- Palm: Another family with a wide variety of big and small plants that flourish in partial sun.
- Snake Plant: Rumored to absorb negativity, this plant prospers in indirect sunlight and with infrequent watering.
3. Multifunctional Spaces
Single-use spaces seem to be a thing of the past. In the light of architectural strides and design, we expect interior design trends in 2022 to feature nifty ideas on multifunctional rooms. Make the most of every nook and cranny with clean and innovative room-dividing tactics.
There is a multitude of opportunities within any given room. Often many miss these by forgetting about the vertical space your room offers. Shelving, ladders, and platforms can open various doors and even function as room dividers.
4. Zen Interiors
Showcasing sustainable living in interiors serves a dual purpose. On the one hand, it elevates the ingenious and environmentally-friendly design. This can encourage others to look to eco alternatives for their own homes. On the other, it’s a reflection of a clear and undistracted mind.
Light wood, clean lines, and floating surfaces set the tone for zen-living. These spaces lean toward a less-is-more approach while keeping decor organic and natural. To this end, plants are often included for a calming aesthetic.
5. Minimalism Remains
Minimalism done right enhances the livability of a space despite featuring fewer creature comforts. By highlighting the central purpose of a room it’s easy to focus on basic day-to-day needs and chores. That said, decluttering must be a core habit in such a home.
To achieve a simplistic look, stick to one or two main materials for furniture, like wood or steel, and limit ornamentation. You can introduce visual interest through different textures and contrasting surfaces.
6. Home Office Interior Design Trends 2022
5 Things to Consider for a Home Office
Whatever the style, shape, and size, your home office will need a few basics to be a productive space. So when you incorporating the office trend into your design, also be mindful of the following points.
- Location: Ideally, a workspace should be in a quiet area of your home. If a whole room is not an option, a foldaway desk in a guestroom can work just as well.
- Equipment: Be sure to include everything you need to work efficiently without indulging in things that’ll only clutter your space.
- Storage: A home office needs to be organized and sufficient storage will help keep things neat and in their place. Choose pretty containers that can double as decor.
- Color: Opt for colors that calm and focus the mind, like subtle blues, greens, and neutrals. And avoid very bright hues that are energizing as they can lead to restlessness.
- Decor: Keep decoration to a minimum to stay focused. You can include wall art, striking shelving, plants, and fun rugs to save space.
2022 Home Decor Trends
As new forms of design take flight, organic shapes and tactile surfaces are becoming more popular. Again, we see home decor trends in 2022 will have sustainability at their core.
7. Sustainable & Organic Materials
Home decor trends in 2022 see a movement towards maximizing glass. For instance, walls and oversized pendants are among the many ways to celebrate glass. With this in mind, mirror nature and do away with plastic as much as possible.
Create Eco-Friendly Interior Design Trends 2022
Sustainability is trending but it is a decidedly long-term approach to greener design. Here is what you can do and include in your home to make it more eco-friendly:
- Opt for energy-efficient design that reduces the need for appliances, heating, and lighting.
- Choose eco-friendly materials, which are either recycled, reused, or from certified sustainable sources. This category is vast and includes reclaimed wood, bio-glass, recycled metal, and jute.
- Stick to green finishes. To minimize your ecological footprint choose paints with “non-toxic”, “low-biocide”, or “milk” tags.
8. Rounded Edges
The curvy furniture design trend 2022 is one that has more than survived the pandemic, it thrived. Furniture and decor with softer edges are both feminine and forgiving. The first can complement angled pieces more, while giving a romantic feel to a room.
Rounded furniture is also another heirloom from the modern era making a comeback. However, this time around the curve extends beyond sumptuous C-shape sofas to include anything from soft-edge tables to reimagined contemporary chairs. These softened forms bring lightness and romance into interiors.
9. 2022 Interior Trends: A Velvet Invitation
Textiles also support softer shapes. Velvet, for instance, is a plush material that can instantly elevate an interior. It is certainly an inviting fabric for living spaces and bedroom trends. Either let your velvet speak up in a single bold color, or mute it with smaller soft accents. Feel free to contrast the softness with metal accents or smooth scatter pillows.
Stepping away from maximalist styles, velvet will bring a luxurious touch to refined and restrained interiors. It’s likely this soft material will be equally at home in minimal and organic spaces. In turn, this addition will add warmth to styles that could feel cold or unwelcoming.
10. Smarter Furniture
As mentioned, there’s a strong movement towards multifunctional spaces. It’s no wonder furniture design follows suit. After all, the flow of a home depends largely on the elements within it’s structure. And if you can cater to intimate social gatherings and reading nooks in one space, it’s all the better.
Smart furniture inevitably also includes pieces with integrated technology or design with function in mind. For instance, accent tables can also house speakers and controls, while remote-controlled shelving could slide open to reveal a television. Other popular items include multi-cornered couches, sculptural storage and surfaces, and speakers that double as decor.
11. Floor Pattern Nostalgia
Herringbone floors are another replay of the hottest trends of the modern era. Not only these, but many geometric patterned floors are making a come-back in home decor trends of 2022. In order to pull off a large-scale pattern, stick to a neutral color palette to let the shapes do the talking.
The resurfacing of old favorites set against contemporary lines showcases contrast at its best. Such a play of opposites is a wonderful thing, especially in interior design. The reason for this is the stark difference emphasizes the character and quality of the separate parts. And with contemporary design moving forward, beloved classics will come back to provide visually striking support.
Interior Design Color Trends 2022
While it’s easy to fall in love with trendy colors, be mindful of creating a cohesive scheme. Everything from large accents, all the way down to the smallest finish needs a curated touch.
12. Basic & Natural Colors
A neutral color base opens up an array of possibilities for your home. In fact, by sticking to basic hues, you always have a forgiving canvas. Choose paint colors that make your raw materials feel right at home. Think stone greys, tinted blacks, and off-whites.
13. Shades of Green
We expect muted contrasts for 2022 interior design trends. Greens in pastels or tinted shades, for instance, refresh an interior without dominating the look. A shade of green emerging from your natural base is a good way to add a subtle pop of color.
14. Interior Trends With Black Accents
Here we start to see the real advantage of setting a neutral base. The interior design color trends of 2022 are going to the extremes with black. Although they come in small doses, black accents are punchy and powerful.
15. White Walls
White-on-white with tapered lines and soft textures is reminiscent of mid-century modern design. If statement furniture and strong finishes are appealing to you, go for simple white walls. Alternatively, choose all-white when decorating with raw materials. This will highlight these pieces even more.
16. Light Floors
For natural light to be at its best, light floors can do their part to bounce light across the room. It feeds a more minimalistic look, especially if you have a few brighter colors that you want to display. Make sure to warm it up with soft textures and your choice of curated artwork.
17. Painted Doors & Trims
Punctuate blank spaces with statement doors and trims. You don’t need much. In fact, leftover paint could be enough to create a feature doorway. With no need to introduce any new colors, this is an elegant way to bring colors into your interiors and exteriors.
18. Inverted Contrasts
Bringing balance into design often relies on adding a contrasting hue. Now, these grounding pops feature in places nearly forgotten – floors, trims, and fixtures. We see a growing inclination towards light furniture and walls and more dark ceilings, floors, trims, and hardware.
Get Your Home on Trend for 2022
Feeling inspired to create the home of your dreams with 2022 interior design trends, but not sure how to pull off the looks on your own? Then, schedule your Free Interior Design Consultation to get started with the finest interior designers today!